Work–life balance is a concept including proper prioritizing between "work" (career and ambition) and "lifestyle" (health, pleasure, leisure, family and spiritual development/meditation). This is related to the idea of lifestyle choice.
Maintaining a balance between work/career and your personal life can be difficult. Work is undoubtedly important but so is your mental and physical state. This is something that I'm still struggling with and still working on. I had never realized how necessary it is to find that balance until I had my first nervous breakdown. More of a burnout I would say. Life just threw so much at once and I couldn't handle it. I just didn't know my limits. I felt like I was falling apart... Constantly exhausted, dizzy, stressed, upset, anxious and basically feeling like shit most of the time.
Ever since I have been looking for ways to achieve better balance in my life. Here are a few things that have helped my out so far:
- Prioritizing. Most of the time we think that only work related stuff can be prioritized. This is where we're wrong. Learn to prioritize things that you want to do as well. Make sure you have time to relax and for your personal passions. Create a list if you have to.
- Learn to say no. As a yes person, I often find myself doing way much more that I actually should. Set your limitations. Evaluate your current workload.
- Make a schedule and stick to it.
- Disconnect. Try spending less time on your laptop and more doing something else like exercising. I know this sounds weird coming from a blogger but you have to try, trust me. I now spend less time on Instagram than I did before and have a "no blog post" policy for the weekends. I even try meditating in the morning for at least 10 minutes.
- Make time for yourself. Get that massage, go out for that coffee! I just got my nails done a couple of hours ago :)
I would like to know what do you do to balance your personal life and work?